Friday, March 26, 2010

Scenes from my "Spring Break"



Lunch at the famous Cattlemen's Steakhouse in Oklahoma City.    Sorry, no food photo this time.  And unfortunately I was a little un-impressed by my meal anyway.  The atmosphere is great though so maybe next time we'll try dinner instead.

A little shopping and window browsing on the Stockyards Main Street. Need a pair of cowboy boots ? or two or three?  Every style and size you could ever want at this store.  Overall, I think I controlled my shopping on this trip.  I guess that's what traveling by air will do for you.  My sister even took me to a cute quilt shop - and we came out with nothing!  Most of my purchases were of the the baby gift variety.  (And as of now, Friday, grandbaby #3 has not yet arrived!) 

Tickets to the first round of the NCAA basketball tourney were courtesy of a nice brother-in-law!  I got to watch a Kansas State University basketball game in person for the first time in about thirty-five years. J had tickets to for the KU game later that night. Unfortunately, his alma mater didn't fair as well and I'm not sure if he's recovered from that shock yet.    (Oops!  I guess I didn't make this clear.  KU did win the Thursday night game - it was the Saturday game that left dear BIL in shock!)
K and J in front of the blow-up Jayhawk at the pep rally.  He's still smiling - it's before the game :(  Sorry your team didn't advance - but thanks for the fun afternoon! 
My sister is a great cook and I always come home with a new recipe or two.  This time it was Rick Bayless' Enchiladas Especiales Tacuba Style.  Too bad hubby didn't come along - he would have loved these!  But I'll be trying them at home soon.  When I looked at the link for the enchiladas, it looks like there's several recipes worth trying there. 
K is a now a quilter too!  Two Christmas's ago, I gave her a jelly roll ( I think it was American Primer by Minnick and Simpson) and look how cute this turned out! 
And I thought it would be warmer in Oklahoma!  But one of those late winter/early spring snow storms messed up one of our days.  Luckily it was pretty well melted by Sunday and we were able to drive over to see my nieice J (and  Ella).  She works for the Tulsa Ballet and snagged some tickets for us to the Sunday matinee.  That was a treat too!  Basketball and Ballet all in one week! 

 
I also had a chance to see niece S (on the right) and her cute little house (along with pup Lucy) and of course E (in back), who was surprised (and I think pleased!) that I was able to join her in Oklahoma.  The third girl is a friend of S and E who stopped by.  She looks like she could belong to this family though!

 Thanks to all for a great time!  It was nice to get home though and find that Spring had never left here.  The grass is green, trees are budding and my daffodils are blooming.  In fact, we might even be able to get out on the bike tomorrow.... that is unless we get a call from Missouri!  Stay tuned - the grandbaby watch is on!

Go Kansas State !

4 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

I can't believe how much snow they've had in OK this year -- we never had that much when we lived there. Looks like you're having a grand time!!!

joeks said...

I'm guessing your Kansas City cousin is jealous that you got to go to the tournament in OKC!
Our crocus are blooming, but that's about it so far.

Unknown said...

Glad you came. We had a good time. But-----KU did win the first round game on Thursday so the Jayhawk was happy. It was the Saturday game that created the depression!

Janet said...

Oops - I stand corrected! Too many games to clog my brain!