Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Baking Ideas

If you're like me, the procrastinator, you are still shopping, wrapping, baking and maybe even sewing! I think the shopping is done and I'm making progress on the rest of the list. Christmas will get here whether we're ready or not.

Here's the result of some of my baking. Marcia over at cutestuffinside is hosting a virtual cookie swap. Even though I didn't sign up to participate, I'll post the recipe for Johnny Appleseed Filled Cookies. D's grandma used to make these and it seemed like she always had a container of them in the freezer when we'd go to visit. So if there's still some holiday baking in your future, maybe you'd like to try these. Though not especially a Christmas cookie, they do bring back memories and they're also pretty tasty!

Johnny Appleseed Filled Cookies
1/2 cups shortening
1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp cream
1 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 cups Flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
apple butter

Mix shortening, sugar and eggs; stir in cream and vanilla.
Stir flour, soda and salt together until well blended; stir into egg mixture. Chill at least 1 hour.
Roll dough about 1/8-inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board; cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Place half the rounds on lightly greased cookie sheet; top each with a rounded teaspoon of apple butter. Make slits in remaining rounds; place over filled rounds and press edges together. Bake filled cookies 8 to 10 minutes at 400-degrees. This recipe will make about 2 Dz. cookies. These freeze well. Enjoy!

I was beginning to think my blogging days were over a few days ago. My computer was attacked by a worm that invaded my Internet Explorer even though I was running Firefox. There were also several other major problems hiding in the depths. But, thanks again to my talented husband (along with help from his friend) I'm back up and running. My computer is all nice and clean (on the inside, anyway!) and humming along smoothly!


This is all for tonight. Back to the kitchen to put away another batch of cookies - Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles. Maybe another recipe post is in the future. Take care!

No comments: