Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mechanic on Duty

Okay, I'm totally out of my element here. But for lack of anything very exciting to blog about today, it was suggested that I document the Harley makeover project.


In order for the new Harley Davidson motorcycles to comply with the governmental emission guidlines, the exhaust systems run extremely hot. This isn't too much of a problem if you live in a year round cold climate, but the average biker often makes the decision to "remodel" (for lack of a better description) the pipes and make the temperature more comfortable. This was Dennis' project for the day. The kitchen project was put on hold for the weekend. The carpenter disappeared and the mechanic came on duty!


We have had the honor of the UPS man dropping off several packages this past week. Just like a kid, D has to open them and spread them out on the livingroom floor to admire before assembling. This is what you see here. Vance and Hines dresser duals, Vance and Hines fuel pack, and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air breather. (I type as he dictates - because I really have no idea what they are!)

First was disassembly. The saddle bags, seats and mufflers came off. Now our Harley is a big motorcycle, but for some reason the angle that I took this photo at makes it look REALLY big and Dennis looks itty bitty!
At this point I was asking if he knew what he was doing and if he could get it back together again. I should have known better, because as some of you know, D usually knows what he's doing before he does it! But I don't recall him doing a lot of auto mechanics in the past so I believe I had cause for concern. But here it is! Re-assembled in all it's copper-top glory! But without some of the factory pipes. Now you can admire the engine much easier.

And it even runs just fine. It has a little different sound to it, but still sounds like a Harley! Why would I ever doubt his mechanical abilities!


Don't think that I just stood around watching and photographing the mechanic all afternoon. I did have a small project of my own in progress. A couple of weeks ago daughter E asked if I could make some type of sleeve for her new MacBook. Yesterday was BOM at Among Friends Quilt Shop and I found some fabric that I thought she might like. Of course I found other fabric to add to my stash. The Strawberry Lemonade pattern from Moda looks bright, pretty and fun so I couldn'tpass it up. The design I chose for the laptop sleeve is Chez Moi from Moda also. The colors don't show well here but better in the next photo. There are SO many pretty fabrics out right now that is so hard to make choices.


Sorry if this isn't so much of a surprise now E! I hope it fits the new laptop, but if it doesn't I'll try again. There are several changes I would make on a second one anyway, but overall I think it's not too bad. I may make one for myself too. Maybe J, B, J and N will want one now!

It was kind of fun to use some of the decorative stitches that I have on my sewing machine. I haven't really taken the time to experiment with alot of the features that my Designer II has.

I experimented first by making a little bag to hold my little Kodak.

Here's the finished product! It was a fun - just hope it fits. I'll be getting this off to her in the mail on Tuesday (President's Day tomorrow, right?) For the rest of you, I'll let you know if it works for the MacBook.


On a totally different note. We've been following a story in the local news lately about the son of some friends of ours. You can read the story here. Eric is a Iraqi War veteran who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and has been missing for about two weeks now. I spoke to his mother today. They still have few clues to his location but searching continues in Florida where he was last seen. As parents, our hearts go out to his family. There is little that we can do but send our prayers their way. Maybe you can add yours tonight as well.

No comments: