Thursday, October 4, 2007

Is it really October?

Happy October ! Fall is probably my favorite time of year. But where is it? Here it is the 4th of October and it is 90 degrees outside. Crazy mother nature. I guess I'll just have to pretend like it is and decorate for the season anyway! This is a photo of my front door - the mums should open up bronze/orange.
I was in the mood to bake today. So I baked Gingersnaps. Back when son J was in high school, this was his favorite cookie. I'm not sure if they still are ( my guess is that anything his bride bakes is his favorite !) but he'll probably tell me to send them his way anyway. I've sort of given up on my experiments to make cookie recipes healthier. They just don't taste the same do they? But I did replace half the flour with whole wheat flour and added about 1/8 cup ground flax seed. They look a little different but do taste pretty good. Now where's the apple cider?
More domestic things today. I've been working on this Christmas lap quilt called All Wrapped Up and have ten of the blocks done, but not sewn together yet. I bought the kit at Among Friends Quilt Shop . Click here for a picture of what it is supposed to look like when I get done. I probably should have taken the class to keep me motivated. The table topper below is one of my first quilt projects I actually completed about 4 years ago. It is always such a good feeling to actually get something finished. Like most quilters, I have lots of UFO's (in quilt language that's unfinished objects) and my table in the basement usually has at least two or three spread out. Here is a photo of my sewing center in the basement. I didn't take a picture of the table in the other room because it was so messy! My sewing machine is a Husqvarna Viking Designer II. I really enjoy this machine but it has more functions than I can actually use. Maybe someday I'll take the time to figure out all the specialty stitches. I did take a class in free motion quilting this summer and I hope to be able to feel like I'm proficient enough to do it on something someday.
Here's my view from my sewing machine. When we finished the basement in this house we made the office/bedroom/sewing room so I could see the television while sewing. It works pretty good, I just need to spend more time there and I could get some of those UFO's done! Note the entertainment center and speaker cabinets. My much talented husband made these last winter from quarter sawn oak. Aren't they great? I am so lucky!!

Now back to sewing.....

No comments: