Monday, July 18, 2011

Cool and Yummy


 I'm watching the weather forecast for the next few days and the prospect  for some hot, humid and stifling days this coming week is depressing.  I think I'll spend some time in my sewing room in the cool basement.  But today I was in the mood to spend some time in the kitchen.  With two boxes of strawberries in the fridge and a basil plant that has been growing faster than I can harvest, I found a recipe for Strawberry Basil Sorbet.

Since I enjoyed this sweet treat, I thought I'd share it here just in case you need something cool and refreshing to try on a hot, humid summer day.

You can find the recipe here at Two Peas & Their Pod, but I'll go ahead and post it here too.

Strawberry Basil Sorbet

1 lb. of strawberries, hulled and sliced
2/3 cup of sugar (a little less if your strawberries are extra sweet!)
1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
1 teas. fresh lemon juice

Mix strawberries with sugar and let set at room temperature (about 45 min to 1 hour) until sugar is dissolved and syrupy.  In blender, combine strawberry mixture, chopped basil and 1 teas. lemon juice.  Blend completely and then place in refrigerator until well chilled.  Using an electric ice cream freezer, place chilled strawberry/basil mixture in chilled container and follow manufacturer's directions for sorbet.  Mine mixed for about 20 minutes to a point when it was nice and firm.  Spoon out and enjoy - or place in freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.  

Enjoy!  And stay cool!


1 comment:

Lori said...

I've never heard of anything like this and may have to give it a try. I too, have a basil plant that seems to be on growth hormones. :)