Friday, August 31, 2007

Muffins for the Road



I should be packing for our weekend trip up to Chicago land, but I thought I would share a recipe with you all this morning. I made these yesterday to take with us . The photos aren't very good - but the muffins are!

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Splenda Blend
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 T softened light cream cheese
1 t. vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
Beat the eggs and sugars together, add
remaining ingredients and mix well.
Add:
6 T. unsweetened cocoa
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (dredge in a little flour to keep them from sinking)
1/2 cup (or more) chopped nuts
Blend well. Fill muffin tins (paper lined- makes about 18-24)
or 1 bread pan and 12 muffins.
Bake: 350 degrees
muffins 20-22 minutes
bread 50-60 minutes (leave bread in pan
about 10 min. before removing)
I've been experimenting with some of my standard recipes to make them a little more healthy. I've been pleased with the results of this one.
It is a beautiful day today, so it should be a good day for travel. Though I'm sure everyone else will be on the road for the long weekend.
I managed to get out and get my two mile walk in this morning. It certainly goes faster when it's not so hot and I put my MP-3 player on. I've got some good songs on there right now. Brad Paisley has a funny new song called "Online". I particularly like the marching band version at the end ! Another new song I've added is the Reba McEntire/Kelly Clarkson duet "Because of You". I've got quite a variety to listen too. Not just country but others like Josh Groban, Jewel, John Mayer, Jack Johnson (thanks J!) and Elliott Yamin plus many others ( but yes, mostly country!)
Off to find the suitcase now. Looking forward to seeing some our family this weekend. I hope to have some good stuff to blog about next week!


2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum! Can't wait to eat them this weekend!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMM!!! I love Mom's chocolate zuchinni muffins!