Friday, March 13, 2009

Yes, It Is Friday the 13th

I'm not a happy blogger.

Sure, we were just going to run into Lowes for just a minute. I had a bad feeling about leaving my brand new pretty white laptop (still in the box) computer in the back seat of the car. But it will be fine, he said. We'll not be long and we're right in front of the door, under the brightest lights. After all, this is a Lowe's parking lot. Should have listened to me, we both should have. So this is how my car looks on Friday the 13th. Evidently we were followed from Best Buy to Lowes. The surveillance tape shows someone pulling up right next to us as we walked into the store. The license plate was covered and they knew exactly what they wanted and how to get it quickly. As the police officers wrote the report, they got another call from Cracker Barrel. Another lady had been to Best Buy, bought a computer, left it in her trunk and went to Cracker Barrel. Friday the 13th for her too.

Looking on the bright side. 1) There was no data on the computer. 2) They could have followed us all the way home 3)This laptop is still working even if it is temperamental and slow 4)They didn't take the new printer 5)We have insurance.

I guess some people are using the downturn in the economy as an excuse to stimulate corrupt behavior. Too bad they had to pick my pretty little white laptop and my pretty white car to victimize. Happy Friday the 13th:(

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is terrible. You are right about being fortunate you did not head directly home. It sounds as if they would have broken into your trunk if it had been in there. Do you have an alarm on your car?

Hope tomorrow is better!

Karen

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is such a sad situation. I am very sorry that this happened to you, I think that you're right to look on the bright side, though... there are blessings to be counted here even though I would be as mad as a wet hen over this too!!

Anonymous said...

The thieves are showing how clever they are...stalking a customer and following to their next stop. Makes me stop and think for sure. How many times I've bought something and gone to another location with my things locked in the car. I would have thought in a place like the Lowes parking lot a thief would have been nervous about breaking your car window and perhaps being seen and caught in the act. We can't be too careful, can we. So sorry about the theft and your car damage, oh my, how awful. Best wishes on getting all resolved.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Sorry to hear that happened. I had the same thing happen in CA once on a trip. It was hard to imagine that the theives had followed me from the airport rental counter to my destination, but how could they have known that my laptop was in the trunk??? I never leave a computer in the car anymore -- it's SO sad! Not to mention disgusting.

Val said...

This is horrible. We just never know when someone is following us I guess. I am so glad you and your husband wasn't hurt or anything. I hope everything turns out ok. I hope you get another little white laptop. This is my first visit with you and I couldn't believe what I read. So sad.

JP said...

wow, that sucks! so sorry.

joeks said...

Oh, that's terrible!
I'm glad you could see all of the bright side points, though, especially #s 1 and 2.

Remind me sometime to tell you about what happened with your cousin, T, when he was at a computer convention.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Janet, I'm so sorry to hear of you Friday 13th bad luck. Even though you have insurance, this is horrible.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG how awful Janet. That is just terrible. People can be so heartless I swear.

Anonymous said...

WOW -- what an awful experience. You are right though -- good thing they did not follow you home. My condo was broken into years ago -- it's a creepy feeling -- I moved shortly after that.